Reporting to the CEO, you will support the Mérieux Foundation USA in developing and implementing programs and expanding collaboration with US partners and donors to build local capacities to fight infectious diseases and improve the living conditions of the most vulnerable in low-income countries. You will be one of the managers of the Programs and Operations Officer and work closely with the Director of Finance & Operations as well as technical experts in France and around the world. You will be a full-time employee with a comprehensive benefits package.
We are all now acutely aware of how important it is to have access to testing and to be able to count on the quality of those test results to prevent the spread of epidemics. In low-income countries, this is essential not only for Covid-19 but for a whole array of infectious disease threats. Whether political, demographic, economic or even climatic in nature, all crises contribute to worsening the health and living conditions of vulnerable populations, creating an ideal breeding ground for epidemics.
Our US-based team collaborates closely with colleagues working on projects in 25 countries in West Africa, the Indian Ocean, the Caribbean, Latin America, Asia, and the Middle East. Whether we are delivering laboratories to fight the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, teaching school children in Madagascar about hygiene and nutrition, providing micro credits for women living with HIV in Haiti to start a business, or building a health center for refugees in Lebanon, the driving force behind everything we do is to work with local partners to help those who are most exposed in very low-income countries.
Our work builds off the century-long legacy of the Mérieux Family and the over 50 years’ experience of the Mérieux Foundation based in Lyon, France. In 2012, the Mérieux Foundation USA was founded as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C. to engage American partners and donors in the Mérieux Foundation’s exceptional work to improve the health and quality of life of the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Responsibilities and duties
- Contribute to building the strategic plan for program development and resource mobilization with the CEO and ensure its execution.
- Identify partners in the US which have a strategy, competences, experience, and footprint that are aligned or complementary with the Mérieux Foundation USA.
- Identify new funding opportunities through an active watch and networking with existing and potential partners.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with a portfolio of current and potential funders and partners, managing meetings, follow-up, and correspondence.
- Prepare compelling grant proposals, concept notes, solicitation letters, and talking points, working closely with Mérieux Foundation and partner technical teams.
- Ensure the timely execution of project deliverables and reporting by technical teams in the field, in line with funder and grant requirements.
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance & Operations to develop budgets and monitor project spending and execution.
Qualifications and skills
- Graduate degree in Public Health or related field.
- 5-10 years of experience in Global Health, especially infectious diseases, vaccines and/or laboratory services.
- 3-5 years of front-line fundraising experience, with campaign experience a major plus.
- At ease in an international, multi-cultural environment a must, French language skills a major plus.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce compelling content and messages across all communication channels.
- Experience in grant writing and program management in the field.
- Experience building budgets according to different kinds of US government grants.
- Highly organized and at ease in a fast-paced environment with the ability to quickly pull together and tailor presentations, proposals, etc.
- A self-starter, comfortable working independently, and a good team player.
- Action-oriented and results driven.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and includes generous benefits.
To apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the position title (Program & Development Director) in the subject line. No calls, please.
Deadline: March 31, 2021. Applicants will be selected for interviews in April.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.