More than 70 scientists working in 16 countries across the globe are collaborating through GABRIEL.
Centered around the Foundation’s two research units in Lyon and Beijing (the Emerging Pathogens Laboratory and the Christophe Mérieux Laboratory), the network brings together the Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratories, local reference laboratories, and representatives from academic and private-sector research, hospitals, and universities in developing countries. It is also open to partnerships with diagnostic firms and will integrate new laboratories over time.
Dr. Marilda Siqueira, Researcher at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (Fiocruz), Head of the Respiratory Virus Laboratory, National Influenza Center, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The power of a research network
With more than 70 scientists working across the globe, the GABRIEL network aims to promote the exchange of information and skills to help establish applied research programs and epidemiological studies that improve the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of infectious diseases.
The research projects developed and coordinated within the network are mostly on respiratory infections (pneumonia, flu and tuberculosis), enteric diseases and emerging diseases.
More than 250 scientific articles have been published in peer-reviewed journals by researchers in the GABRIEL network since 2008.
The GABRIEL network has three objectives:
- Transfer expertise, tools, and knowledge needed for advanced applied research in emerging countries, particularly in the field of pathogenic agent identification and monitoring
- Conduct international, collaborative epidemiological studies in conjunction with local healthcare stakeholders and diagnostic companies
- Help improve public health policies by providing reliable and accurate epidemiological data
The GABRIEL network has organized several training modules for laboratory personnel, academic research teams and healthcare professionals.
These training sessions cover topics such as molecular immunology, molecular biology, molecular diagnostics, recombinant proteins, and the use of a biosafety level 3 laboratory. Five hundred scientists have been trained in 50 sessions held in Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, France (in our Emerging Pathogens Laboratory), Georgia, Ghana, Haiti, Laos, Lebanon, Madagascar and Mali.
Four e-learning training modules are also available on the GLOBE online training portal. They cover molecular biology, epidemiology, clinical research and tuberculosis diagnostics.
The GABRIEL network also supports member labs in attaining ISO15189 certification. This is part of quality initiative launched by our Foundation in 2014.
The GABRIEL network is led by the Emerging Pathogens Laboratory in Lyon, which supports and coordinates research activities. A Steering Committee, chaired by Dr. Jean-William Pape, Director of the GHESKIO Centers in Haiti, supervises the implementation of activities.
GABRIEL: 19 members in 16 countries
- Bangladesh International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Institute for Developing Science and Health Initiatives (Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory)
- Brazil Oswaldo Cruz Foundation
- Brazil National Laboratory for Scientific Computing
- Brazil Fundhacre Hospital in Rio Branco (Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory)
- Cambodia Faculty of Health Sciences in Phnom Penh (Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory)
- Cameroon The Pasteur Center of Cameroon
- China Institute of Pathogen Biology & Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
- France Emerging Pathogens Laboratory, the Mérieux Foundation
- Georgia National Center of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- Haiti GHESKIO Centers (Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory)
- India King George’s Medical University
- Laos Ministry of Health (Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory)
- Lebanon Saint-Joseph University (Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory)
- Madagascar Antananarivo University (Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory)
- Mali Charles Mérieux Center for Infectious Disease (Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory)
- Mongolia Mongolian Academy of Medical Sciences
- Paraguay National University of Asunción
- Ukraine Zaporozhye State Medical University