Mérieux Foundation & IRD co-organized event
The Mérieux Foundation – IRD joint PhD scholarship
July 10 - September 30, 2022 - France
Mérieux Foundation and IRD are launching a joint PhD scholarship will allow the PhD candidate to carry out a thesis in a professional context and acquire the skills necessary for the practice of the research for the 2022-2023 academic year.
This joint scholarship covers all doctoral programs focusing on a collaborative project between IRD and Mérieux Foundation, aiming at strengthening GABRIEL network laboratories diagnostic and research expertise. Half of the thesis duration shall be spent in a lab from the GABRIEL network (priority will be given to Rodolphe Mérieux Labs). Objective connections with IRD will need to be integrated in the thesis work so as to fully benefit from IRD’s research expertise. Insights on a long-term involvement of the awardee in the lab where they were trained will be carefully considered.
The nature of financial aid and the obligations of each party will be stipulated in an agreement to be signed when the scholarship is awarded. The monthly amount of aid corresponds to a contribution to living expenses, calculated on the basis of the salary of a junior researcher in the host country (see the country remuneration scale in the Appendix). This amount may not exceed the host laboratory’s remuneration paid to its staff of the same grade level. This scholarship is paid to the managing office of the host research laboratory for the sole purpose of funding the beneficiary’s thesis.
Who can apply?
The candidate must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- be a doctoral student registered in a French doctoral school for the academic year 2022-2023, with or without co-tutorship with a doctoral school in the home country.
Students in the course of completing their current thesis will not be considered.
Eligibility criteria for the host research laboratory
- The host laboratory undertakes to provide the PhD student with the necessary scientific supervision to enable him/her to carry out his/her doctoral program in a professional manner.
- The host research laboratory agrees to provide social security coverage to the beneficiary for the duration of the scholarship.
- The host research laboratory agrees to manage the funds which will be transferred to cover the scholarship through a collaborative agreement. Overheads are not eligible and can be considered as co-funding from the host research laboratory.
- Applications open: July 10, 2022
- Deadline for receipt of applications: September 30, 2022
- Short-listed candidates to be interviewed will be informed by email by October 15, 2022
- Candidate interviews: October 17-28, 2022
- Signing of the convention: November 2022
The application must be completed in French or English and sent by email before September 30, 2022 to:
Composition of the selection committee
The selection committee is composed of 3 representatives from IRD and 3 representatives from Mérieux Foundation.