After the visit of Alain Mérieux, President of the Mérieux Foundation, and Benoît Miribel, Director General, numerous operations were identified and set up related to the Foundation’s mission.
Strengthening health infrastructures
- Participation in the renovation of the laboratory at the State University Hospital of Haiti (HUEH) following the earthquake;
- Start of activity at the Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory at Port-au-Prince;
- Technical support at the Institute of Infectious Diseases and Reproduction Health (IMIS).
Applied research programmes (within the GHESKIO Centers at Port-au-Prince)
- Setting up of a molecular test allowing the detection of multi-resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB). The test was used during a national epidemiological study on the prevalence of MDR TB in the case of primary infections. Its use was extended to the routine diagnosis of resistance (GHESKIO patients, national prison), and then in 2010 for the increased surveillance of refugee populations following the earthquake.
- Setting up of a study in order to identify the agents responsible for acute lower respiratory infections in children below the age of 5, through a multi-centred study of the GABRIEL network.
Training and knowledge sharing
- Setting up of a ‘Bachelor in Applied Medical Sciences (BAMS)’ course for technical graduates to complete their knowledge with the goal of reinforcing the intermediate level of technical support in laboratories. This training will take place in partnership with the National Laboratory for Public Health (NLPH) and the Catholic University of Lyon (ESTBB), based on a model already set up in Mali in 2007.
- Support of the Klib Timoun Ke Kontan (AKTKK) Association in Verrettes for the professional training centre ‘Centre L’espoir‘ for young people with economic and/or social difficulties.
Mother and child health
- Participation in the multi-year project ‘Global Health’ of the GHESKIO Centers concerning aspects of primary health care, the fight against infectious diseases, nutrition, accommodation, education and training of people displaced by the earthquake and those from the slums;
- Since 2005, support of the actions of the Brother Armand Franklin, including water supply for a health centre and the creation of orphanage;
- Support of an orphanage in Cap Haïtien;
- Support of the orphanage ‘Don d’Amour’ in Port-au-Prince;
- Support of the orphanage ‘Auberge de la Fraternité’ in Tabarre;
- Support through the ‘Urgence Séisme Haïti’ programme for the fight against cholera.
One year after the earthquake, despite the current situation (governmental changes), the Mérieux Foundation’s projects are progressing with a steady rhythm.