Access to diagnosis
Haiti is one of the first countries in which we operated. We have a long-standing partner, the GHESKIO Centers, where the Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory is located. It is the only high biosafety level (BSL3) laboratory in the country. We have supported the implementation of microbiology and molecular diagnostic techniques to enable HIV viral load quantification, cholera testing and Zika virus diagnostics.
Since 2015, we have coordinated the SPHaïtiLAB project to strengthen the country’s laboratory network. The project includes recruiting qualified staff for the National Public Health Laboratory, assessing 30 laboratories across the country, and drafting the National Laboratory Policy. SPHaïtiLAB is co-funded by the Mérieux Foundation and the European Union as part of their “Supporting Public Health Institutes Programme” and implemented in collaboration with the National Public Health Laboratory (LNSP), the Department of Laboratory and Research Epidemiology (DELR), the GHESKIO Centers and the African Institute of Public Health in Burkina Faso.
We also contributed our expertise to the reconstruction of the biology laboratory at the State University hospital in Haiti, which was destroyed by the earthquake in 2010.
Enhancing research capabilities
As part of the GABRIEL network, Haitian researchers at the Rodolphe Mérieux Laboratory benefit from training modules developed by the Emerging Pathogens Laboratory in Lyon, participate in collaborative research programs and work to achieve ISO 15189 international quality certification.
We also support a study on multi-resistant tuberculosis by the GHESKIO Centers at five sites in the country as part of the SPHaïtiLAB project.
To encourage continuing training for practicing laboratory technicians in Haiti, we created the BAMS course (Bachelor in Applied Medical Biology), in partnership with the School of Biology, Biochemistry and Biotechnology (ESTBB) of the Catholic University of Lyon. This degree level course began in 2007 in Mali and in 2011 in Haiti and aims to strengthen theoretical and practical skills of laboratory technicians, focusing on best practices and logistical aspects.
Health education training: we contributed to the creation of a course on water for primary schools, in partnership with the Academy of Sciences.
Support for mothers and children
In partnership with Fondation Christophe et Rodolphe Mérieux, we support several NGOs that fight poverty in Haiti and the devastating effects of natural disasters (the earthquake in 2010, Hurricane Matthew in 2016):
- Micro-credit program for women living with HIV/AIDS : In collaboration with ACME (Association for Cooperation with Micro-Enterprises) and the GHESKIO Centers, the program offers women living with or vulnerable to HIV/AIDS training sessions on managing an income-generating activity. These women also have the opportunity to receive a micro-credit to support their business. Since 2005, more than 8,900 loans have been given to 3,900 women and the reimbursement rate is above 90%.
- Communauté de l’Incarnation children’s home in Leogane: We support the development of the institution and improve the living conditions of children and staff through the construction of houses, providing access to clean water and better nutrition, but also provision of school supplies, access to healthcare and development of income-generating activities.
- Children’s home in Cap Haitian: This children’s home, managed by Sister Godelive, welcomes 500 children in the renovated school and close to a hundred residents in the orphanage. With the support of Fondation Christophe et Rodolphe Mérieux, following projects to increase the capacity and improve the living conditions at the institution, we are providing medical care and food aid.
- Association Klib Timoun Kè Kontan (AKTKK): The AKTKK association aims to help disadvantaged children by giving them the opportunity to learn a trade (such as baking, embroidery, floral art, crafts).
- Salines dispensary : Created by AAIP (Firefighter’s international aid actions) in Jacmel, this medical dispensary works to provide care for vulnerable populations in need of medical treatment (medical consultation, vaccination, pediatric care, etc. …).
After Hurricane Matthew, in partnership with the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region, we contributed to urgent aid: awareness-raising in communities and distribution of cholera kits, medicine, food kits and tarpaulins for roofs.